Douglas Tomuriesa, Pope Francis and James Marape

Image
  Opposition Leader Douglas Tomuriesa said he is disappointed and embarrassed over the way His Holiness Pope Francis was treated by Prime Minister James Marape over the last three-days during the Papal visit, and the lack of courtesy and respect shown by the Prime Minister. He said the Prime Minister continuously declares PNG as a ‘Christian country’ and prides himself on being a religious individual but he was surprised when the Pope was continuously snubbed by the PM over the weekend since the Pope’s arrival on Friday. “The Pope is the head of the Catholic church, the largest Christian church in the world and he is also a head of state. “PNG not only being a Christian country, but a country that prides itself as a ‘friend to all, enemy to none’, the PM should be according the Pope with the highest level of respect,” Tomuriesa said. The Opposition Leader pointed out that on Friday, the Prime Minister did not welcome the Pope at the airport, a tradition he had accorded to many other wo

Korave rules out Hunters return

 


Sports

By PATRICIA KEAMO
CENTRAL Dabaris co-captain Adam Korave has ruled out a return to the SP Hunters as he looks forward to mentoring upcoming players in the Digicel Cup.
The former Hunters lock has over a decade of experience in rugby league, including three seasons with the South Pacific Brewery-sponsored Queensland Intrust Super Cup side.
Using his experience and knowledge, the 31-year-old said he wanted to help develop young players and help the Dabaris reach the finals of the 2021 season.
“Right now, I’m not looking forward for a return to the Hunters squad,” the former Papua New Guinea Kumul told The National on Wednesday.
“I’m just trying to help the new players (in the Dabaris) with whatever skills I’ve gained from my previous teams and games that I’ve played.
“I really want to help the younger players in the team because most of them are inexperienced at the semi-professional level.
“They have a long way to go and I don’t want keep those things which I’ve learnt to myself, I want to pass them on to the younger generation before I retire.”
Korave started his rugby league career with Port Moresby Rugby Football League club Dobo Warriors before making his Digicel Cup debut with Port Moresby Vipers where he played for three years.
One of his achievements while with the Vipers was helping them win the premiership in 2013 before being selected to join the Hunters squad under foundation coach Michael Marum.
“I was selected to join the Hunters camp in 2014,” Korave said.
“I was with them for three years and then went away for one year in 2017.
“A year later, I joined the squad again.

“ I really want to help the younger players in the team because most of them are inexperienced at the semi-professional level.”
Central Dabari Adam Korave taking on the Gulf Isou defence at Sir John Guise Stadium in Port Moresby. – Dabarispics

“But due to family commitments, I had to withdraw from the squad.
“As a co-captains for the Dabaris, I want to help move the team forward in whatever way that’s expected of me as a leader and player.
“I want to lead the team this year and reach the finals.
“But we’re not looking too far ahead, we’ll just taking it one game at a time as the season progresses.”
The other co-captain for the Gairo Pepena-coached Dabaris is Heniga Lapanda.
Meanwhile, the Dabaris received the Covid-19 vaccine at Edai Town outside of Port Moresby on Wednesday, making them the first Digicel Cup franchise to receive the jab.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Douglas Tomuriesa, Pope Francis and James Marape